We are a mushroom and tofu family. We have tofu 4 times a week and we love mushrooms. This dish oozes with the earthy aromas of mushrooms. I usually take a bunch each of each kind of fresh mushroom from the supermarket's mushroom shelf.
Mixture of fresh mushrooms
(shitake, shimeji, oyster, eringii, bai ling, button, maitake etc)
Tofu (for frying) 2 packets
Oyster sauce 2 tbsp
Dark soysauce 1 tbsp
Light soysauce 2 tbsp
Chinese wine 2 tbsp
Garlic, 3 cloves, chopped finely
Oil, 2 tsp
Chopped chinese parsley, chinese celery, spring onion, 2 tbsp for garnish
1. Separate or slice mushroom in to thick slices (remember they release juices and shrink after cooking)
2. Cut tofu into large cubes
3. In the wok over medium-high heat, pour in oil and garlic. Fry garlic until fragrant.
4. Put in mushrooms, stir fry quickly to avoid sticking.
5. Add Chinese Wine, Stir thouroghly, add the other seasoning(soysauce, oyster sauce)
6. When mushrooms juice start coming out, add tofu. Add a touch of water if necessary to cover 3/4 of all ingredients
7. Cover and simmer in low-medium heat for 5-7 mins. Adjust taste with salt/sugar
8. Sprinkle chopped parsley/celery/spring onion and mix well. Cover for 1 min more and serve!
- Experiment with difference mixture of mushrooms, I even add in soaked dry fungi like 'Cloud Ear', 'Snow Ear' etc. They give a crunchy texture to the dish